Maria de la Fuente
Associació Institut Quotidiana
"Illustrating Equality " is about transparency, social empowerment and gender equality. Relevant gender sensitive data about everyday life in Europe will be released on a unique website: using infographic desing and easy language to approach this often too technical information, to society.
Gender Equality is a European core value, and has been treated as such by the European institutions. Unfortunately, from a social point of view it is a non achieved goal. Using digital support together with innovative, non- academic language is essential to make European citizens more aware of it. Furthermore, information on gender (in)equality in the everyday life of European citizens must be shared in order to know European society better: a comprehensive knowledge about European society cannot be achieved without a gender sensitive perspective. Finally, the right to information and transparency are also values that should shape European construction. Accurate information and knowledge make social, political debate and action possible.
The outcomes of this project will be several. In the short term (one year from now) a transparency goal will be reached: a broad amount of European public statistical information about gender in everyday life will be easily available to internet users. In addition we hope to reach young people though the use of infographics and inspire interest in gender (in)equality. Finally we hope a number of key journalists will know more about gender (in)equality and feel inspired to inform others about it in new, innovative ways. In the long term, a broad understanding of gender (in)equality will be achieved thanks to this project and therefore be on the road towards equality.
1. Looking around: Research on social indicators and statistical data on Europeans's everyday life and its construction with a gender sensitive perspective. This will include Skype interviews with experts and data source searching.
2. Analyzing and organizing: Select indicators and create a Data Base: we need to analyze, systematize, and organize the data selected.
3. Creating the tool. Utilizing our previous experience (www.iqobservatori.org) we will create an attractive and user-friendly website.
4. Designing and writing. Design the infographics of the selected statistical indicators and compose the short explanations that shall reach a broader public.
5. Spreading the word: Run a networking campaign to showcase the infographics and organize a meeting with specialized journalists.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
We wish to learn from other data visualization projects. Also from initiatives of democratization through the right to information.