Universities Allied for Essential Medicines Europe e.V.
Together, we can pioneer a research system that makes medicines for people - not for profits
The Netherlands, Germany, all of Europe
Up until now, efforts for better global access to medicines have usually been targeted on improving the infrastructure in developing countries, or to change the setup of international agreements around trade and intellectual property.
Our approach is different, because it offers a bottom-up approach to the problem. By changing specific practices, researchers and academic institutions can address the access and innovation crisis.
Today, citizens of several Southern, Central and Eastern European countries face severe obstacles to accessing essential medical treatments due to prohibitive pricing.
By enabling young Europeans to coordinate their engagement for global access to medicines, we would like to foster European solidarity, as well as health and well-being for all.
- Young people from across Europe are empowered to hold their academic institutions as well as politicians accountable to delivering and financing adequate, globally affordable medical research
- Leading research institutions in Europe are ranked regarding their performance on global health research, and make a commitment to substantial improvements as a result
- Co-operation, understanding and exchange of information is promoted among young people from across Europe
- Politicians, researchers and university administrators implement more adequate, affordable medical research and development models
- Young Europeans have gained leadership, advocacy and public speaking skills that can be transferred to other future engagement for social justice issues
A five-day training camp will serve as a starting point for participants who would like to gain basic knowledge and skills in access to medicines advocacy.
Young Europeans will rank their countries' leading academic institutions according to their performance in global health research, and will use the results of this ranking to advocate for stronger commitment vis-a-vis decision makers.
A big European conference will bring together young people from across Europe for a weekend of peer learning, skills training, strategy development and networking.
A week of action will enable participants to synchronize their engagement and organize events and public actions on campuses across Europe.
Throughout the project, participants will coordinate their activities via online & offline meetings.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe