Urban Dialogues e.V.
Border + proposes a participatory reflection on the future of the internal borders of EU. Following the former Schengen border, a unique exhibition created with the border inhabitants of 8 countries will travel from the Baltic to the Adriatic Sea reinforcing exchange and sharing visions together.
Municipalities at the D-PL, D-CZ, A-CZ, A-SK, A-H, A-SLO, I-SLO borders
Europe is, fundamentally, a peace project. The previous generation, that of our parents, who lived in a divided Europe, was well aware of this. Then the wall came down, and 15 years later, in 2004, the EU embraced 10 new countries. In 2007, border controls between the old and new EU countries were lifted. Today, with a Europe in crisis and a lack of clear direction, the question of what to do with this new-found freedom is being asked. Calls for restrictions to freedom of movement and a reintroduction of border controls are growing louder. We believe that the time has come to transform this former border region into a forum for dialogue, encounter and reflection. The most qualified experts for such an endeavour are the residents themselves, while all of Europe stands to gain.
- Bring together border citizens of all ages and backgrounds from 8 EU countries in a common project
- Offer a space in the heart of the continent that gives the opportunity to deal with and to share about our common history, our differencies and our visions for the future.
- Create an original think-tank of ideas that could be set up on a local scale after 2016 through the dynamic created by the project (f.i. occupy and transform a former checkpoint for a common project)
- Create new connections between the numerous actors and associations already existing along the border from East to West and South to North
- Launch a process on a bigger scale to think about what unites EU citizens and what are really our challenges for the future (if borders inhabitants can do it, why couldn't we?)
- By setting up the core of a modular exhibition on the basis of the documentation Atelier Limo did along the border between 2006 and 2009 (before and just after the end of controls) > End of 2015, begining of 2016.
- Organizing with the local partners at least 10 stations in 10 border cities where the exhibition will be presented. At this occasion 10 (one day) workshops with participants from 2 or 3 countries will be held > Organization : Winter/Spring 2016 - stations: Summer 2016
- After each station, integrating the contributions of the inhabitants in the core of the exhibition. People in the next stations can see what others did, the exhibition grows
- Setting up a final exhibition which could be shown in other European cities to reach a larger public > Autumn 2016
Funding requested from Advocate Europe