Stichting Beyond the Gap
- strengthen citizens, cities and regions after a period of war or conflict;
- raise awareness of conflict areas in Europe;
- empower local residents, artists, architects and urban planners to (re)develop their city.
We will set up a knowledge network and realise local action, starting with 4 regions. What can the (physical and social) reconstruction of the Ruhr area and Rotterdam tell us for Serbia and Ukraine now? What are the instruments for urban planners, architects and artists?
Ukraine _ Mariupol (Donetsk region)
Serbia _ Belgrade
Netherlands _ Rotterdam
Germany _ Ruhr area
It will empower citizens to built communities and make their city liveable along with the craftsmenship of urban planners and architects, supported by an international network.
It supports residents and architects in their discussion with politicians about future plans.
- creative research document on identity of the cities and their citizens
- workshops and concrete interventions in all regions
- network meeting on participants from all four areas
- video with research and workshop developments
- strong organisation
Jun-Aug ‘18 preparations
Aug-Sep ’18 visit cities, start research
Okt-Dec ‘18 building simple platform for network
Jan ’19 network meeting team
Feb-Apr ’19 workshops and city interventions real time
May-Jun ’19 research document and video edit
Feb-Jun ’19 organisation and financial strategy
Treffers is frequent participant in urban planning projects in former Yugoslavian and Soviet states. Van Schaik is dedicated to several European cultural projects. We want to raise awareness of recent and actual wars that effect lives of many Europeans and strengthen their resilience.
Ultimately we are doing it for residents in Europe, and more direct in Mariupol and Belgrade. We are addressing primarily to urban planners, architects, philosophers and artists and with them together we are addressing to the local people.
We are very curious on your response!