Sbarro Health Research Organization di Philadelphia
Rete della Conoscenza- UDS
Building the platform the project aims to develop a network of affected communities in Europe. We already have a partnership with some of those communities in France, Bulgaria, Romania, Sweden, UK.
Citizen science can help fighting the sense of powerlessness of citizens affected by pollution while advancing policy making and science. Veritas is experimenting a collaborative bio-monitoring of ill people (contaminants in blood) in the Lands of Fire, Italy, to identify causality between contamination and disease. To extent at EU level the local experimentation, we wants to build tools for replication and community self-advocacy to advance policies related to health and the environment.
Naples, Campania, Italy.
Post Normal Science empower communities through knowledge production based on a scientifically robust methodology so they are better able to participate effectively in democratic processes. That enables citizens to influence policy and decision making so they better respond to specific local needs.
- Built scientific evidence on connections between illness and waste contamination
- Enhanced communities’ advocacy capacities and tools
- Increased replicability and boosted impacts: built trasferable methodology and advocacy strategy, reached out to decision makers and organisations around EU
1. Realization of 150 toxicology tests, demonstration of connections btw pollutants in the environment and blood
2. Implemention of an advocacy strategy to report findings and policies’ recommendations to Italian and EU institutions
3. Editing of a methodological guide and toolkit in English
4. Dissemination to stimulate replication in other contexts at EU level: use and extension of partners’ contacts, promotion email, call, meetings, 1 EU workshop of exchange btw activists and scientists
After 15 years supporting impacted communities, our organization consider of primary importance to equip them with concrete tools that give them credibility in the dialogue with the institutions and impact on environmental justice. I think people must have the capacity to unveil unconvenient truths.
Beneficiaries: cancer patients undergoing the toxicological tests and "Land of Fires"communities impacted by the waste crisis.
Target groups: organisations and grassroots in Europe working on heatlh/contamination, italian and european decision makers on health, environment, waste management.
How important it is to talk about environment and health linked to democratic processes? Can you give us suggestions to make our idea real?