Global Shapers Barcelona
We propose to develop a tool where we present an agenda of the different topics to be discussed each day in the EU parliament. Each topic will be linked to the Wikipedia page related to the topic and to the hashtags used in Twitter to discuss about it.
Nowadays one of the main drivers of the failure of the European project is lack of identification of the European citizens with the EU project. One of the causes that has lead to this situation is the inability of the European Parliament to correctly communicate what it is doing.
What we propose is to develop a communication tool that speaks that average citizen’s language and allows them to connect through user friendly channels.
The potential impact of the app is :
- Increase in the information of citizens about the decisions taken in the EU parliament.
- Involvement and interaction of different European citizens via Twitter.
Once we succeed in generating this impact, the next step would be to consider how to channel this increase of awareness and exchange into political action. In this case, a collaboration with activism platforms like Avaaz or Change.org would be really interesting.
1. Identification of the information sources and development of the algorithm that makes the match between the events happening and the contents related in Wikipedia and Twitter.
2. Development of the app (testing and pivoting). Ensure that the app is intuitive, easy to use and well linked to the different sources.
3. Presentation of the app and cooperation with local initiatives from the different European countries that promote transparency and citizenship empowerment.
4. Monitorization of the development and evaluation of the impact.
5. Consider the collaboration with specific organizations that take political action (Avaaz or Change.org, for example) to see how could collaborate.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe