Adria Le Boeuf
The Catalyst Theater Company
How can the public learn about new science without going back to school? How can we change the way the public views scientists? How can we combat pseudoscience? Let's bring together scientists and media artists to create new entertainment about science!
Lausanne, Switzerland, London, UK, Many others
In some regions of Europe, namely the UK, there is a growing culture of science advocacy and public engagement. However, A. border crossing has been limited to a few great examples (e.g. Pint of Science, FameLab), and B. the methods of engagement are often very transient and within out the potential for viral expansion.
What we propose will create lasting new media that can be shared again and again. Also, we will give our participants the tools they need to go home, start a new project, and create within their own communities (and in their own languages!).
It would be a success if we taught more scientists how to be better communicators and more artists about the process of science.
It would be a success if we created a new theater piece or a game of a film bringing a beautiful scientific idea to the public.
It would be a success if the public enjoyed it and shared it.
It would be a success if our scientists-communicators-artists went home to their home countries and started similar projects with the tools they’ve learnt with The Catalyst.
All of these things can happen, given funding, within one year.
• As this project will require additional funding, we are applying to other sources (SNSF, ProHelvetia, Loterie Romande)
• Summer: we will put out a call on social media for scientists and artists to be part of the project. Participants will be selected and their talents will determine the type of media to be created
• The main creation process will happen over several long weekends in the fall and winter. Depending on our funding situation, we would cover flights and housing costs for participants from abroad
• By early 2016 we will begin more serious implementation: if the piece is a theater piece, we will begin rehearsals; if it is a transmedia game, we will be creating the content and design; if it is a film, we will be shooting, etc
• Touring/Performing in summer 2016
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
We would especially love to hear about venues around Europe that might welcome our science-based arts and entertainment projects.