Belarus is the last country in Europe where death penalty is used as the highest measure of punishment. This project is a about making the Belarusians to stop it.
Europe needs to stop death penalty. Our idea is a courageous initiative oriented towards the current and future needs of Europe's civil society and citizens. We are ready to act in difficult political context because we know the best the value of freedom and chanse to make your life different. In order to do that we need to be alive.
We want to achieve abondonment of death penalty in Belarus as a far-going goal. We do understand that it will not happen soon, but at the same time we understand that only through Belarusian public opinin (proved by collected signatures) it is possible to influence at our President.
This project will start a long proccess bringing Belarus to refuse from death penalty as a measure of punishment. We expect to have series intiatives heard by the government in a year to iniaitate reconsidering Criminal Law.
1) make life stories of real people imprisoned and released with Belarusian faces open in mass media
2) train volunteers to work with the public on raising tolerance and changing attitudes
3) run meetings with the public in 25 cities to influence their opinion
4) collect signatures under the appeal to the President to make changes to the law
5) advocate life for all at all levels in Belarus
Funding requested from Advocate Europe