Mérték Media Monitor
The project's objective is to improve press freedom and to reinforce the democratic public sphere, as well as to raise awareness of the basic principles underlying the workings of the media system.
The project’s objective is to provide help to redress the deficiencies in the public sphere by broadening public knowledge of the freedoms of media sharing methodological skills, changing attitudes concerning the media. What we hope to achieve through this project is that a social need or expectation emerge - or be reinforced where it exists - that the media ought to operate with a maximum degree of liberty, free of political and economic influence. By increasing awareness, we will highlight problems and causal relationships which were likely apparent to few people only. We create a social basis and embeddedness for a better effectuation of the freedoms of press in Europe. Traditional European instruments are not sufficient to handle the mentioned problems, new alternatives are needed.
- In the interest of creating content analysis that is as broadly targeted as possible, we will draft the code instructions; organize groups conducting media policy analyses and prep them for content monitoring; gather and analyse data; write a study
- Online forum will be created, which will feature the continuous introduction of new topics and debates moderated by participants
- Organizing volunteer groups in collaboration with universities, which are responsible for submitting FOI requests; hosting training workshops; processing data obtained through FOI requests and publishing them
- Community tracking of government propaganda: collecting information on propaganda through crowdsourcing (1 app,1 website)
- International winter school for 50 university students
- Content analyses to determine the effects of media regulations on public affairs communication in the partner countries. We will organize analyst groups in different cities around Hungary. After the coding we will evaulate the data and write a study.
- As part of the content analysis an online forum will be created (media ombudsman), which will feature the continuous introduction of new topics and debates moderated by participants.
- We will organize a workshop series for university students about FOI law and build up an on-line database about FOI requests and lawsuits
- Winter school: offers those in attendance professional and cultural programmes, including interactive workshops on various areas of media research, public debates on media-related topics
Funding requested from Advocate Europe