A grassroots approach towards the refugees, through images & videos, collection of untold stories, creation of creative documentaries, exhibitions and network activities is our weapon to urge action, and increase public awareness of their plight and potential.
Lesvos, Chios (Greece)
The need to understand the human dimension of escalations of violence, insecurity and HR abuses which led refugees to get into the “death boats” to Europe. The media coverage that perpetuates a perception of refugees as a faceless mass of immigrants, an image is not confined by the precarious conditions imposed by war but also extending to their states as human beings
Our outmost goal is to help the Greek and German public see the refugees as their neighbours with their own, sometimes tragic, human stories, and help expose the violation ofrefugees’ human & civic rights during their long journey.
A change in perspective will encourage local communities in Lesvos and Chios to understand better arriving refugees and will enhance refugee prospects of integration upon settlement in Germany.
- Establish a presence on islands of Lesvos and Chios, each with 1 member of the Caravan team and 2 talented alumni of Caravan workshops.
- Record through picture & video the arrival of migrants on the shores and interview some to write their stories
- Select a family willing to go to Dortmund and accompany them on their journey.
- Return in 1 month to follow up on the family and continue for another 6 months with the Dortmund-based CSO.
- Prepare a simultaneous exhibition in Dortmund (co-hosted with a local CSO) and in Athens with the best stories, videos and pictures. The accompanied refugee family will be honored guests in Dortmund.
- Prepare a documentary on the project and disseminate it through tv, radios, film companies and new media.
Our primary target group is the Syrian & Iraqi refugees on the Greek border-islands of Lesvos and Chios, and the local community and authorities in Ruhr region and especially in Dortmund.
Secondarily, our outreach activities target diverse audiences, from the general public to the government and political leaders, people who can mobilize local resources, media representatives, etc., through the exhibitions, tv, internet posts.
It combines spontaneous, grassroots recordings with professional work. The storytelling technique, central to all the designed activities is dynamic and uncoventional. Sharing human stories essentially entails sharing knowledge and experiences, which itself involves the storyteller’s commitment to the listener in a deeper form of communication. The public will be transfigured into an active observer, sharpening its social consciousness.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
office expenses 1,030 Euross travel costs 10,840 euros accommodation and subsistence 14,400 euros event costs 7,700 euros fees 24,500 euros public relations 10,500 euros unforeseen 4,000 euros personnel costs 15,400