“People stories:Moving on the borderline” uses the art of visual image as a weapon to combat prejudices against the migration crisis. 4 documentaries, 1 Instagram photo-collage, 2 animation videos, 4 Greek border-islands & 10 border cities set our cross border trip. “Are refugees a real threat”? The answer will be set in 2 Special events: in Sofia at BBB Short Film Festival 2016 and in Thessaloniki with screenings, photo exhibition and round tables. Humans in the front - visualization in action!
Families have been uprooted, hundreds of lives have been lost and the consequences of the refugees’ crisis is more than obvious in a changing Europe. Discrimination, racism and prejudices against migrants and refugees are major societal dangers in the area of the Greek Islands affected more by the situation, thus Northern Aegean and Dodecanese islands.
"People Stories:moving on the border line" aims to break the stereotypes on the anti-muslim sentiment cultivated by the media and to increase the levels of their integration in the local societies. Within a year our utmost goal will be the local communities to be more informed about this humanitarian disaster and to be created a human chain in many European cities to urge action on the refugee crisis.
- Organize 2 open calls (1 month duration) and set qualitative selection criteria (motivation letter, cv, scenario and method of approach, innovation, viewpoint). 4 Film-makers in 4 Greek border-islands, Chios, Lesvos, Kos, Samos, will produce a documentary. Photographers will impress in an Instagram Photo Contest the refugee crisis in 9 border-cities+1: Mitilini, Chios, Kos, Izmir, Azaz, Kobani, Amman, Idomeni, Beirut, Dortmund
- Create 2 animations
- Create an online platform
- Organize 2 thematic screenings upon the refugee/migrant crisis in Sofia and Thessaloniki with:
o screenings (produced material & other festival’s curated program)
o Q&As local audience and filmmakers.
o Instagram Photo Exhibition (3 prizes)
o Round table with academics, artists, activists, CSO stakeholders
We have different groups at the center of our project. First of all the refugees themselves and the young artists that will participate in order to give life to this project. Secondly the local communities and further as much diverse audiences as possible, from the general public to the government and political leaders, people who can mobilize local resources, media representatives, etc. Moreover, the local authorities is a stakeholder we wish to engage.
- A very sensitive topic is presented in a qualitative synthesis of a variety of artforms (animation, documentary, photography, roundtables).
- Animation has been chosen as an unconventional artform to present reliable information on refugees’ human and civic rights in the countries of transit or final destination is rather unconventional.
- Animation videos are one of the easiest artforms to go viral.
- The online platform will be open, inclusive and will function after the project’s lifetime
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
Budget, 50.000 euros 4 documentaries Production : 15.000 EUR Instagram competition : 2.000 EUR 2 Video Animations Production: 7.000 EUR OnLine Platform : 3.000 EUR Public Relations and promotion: 4.000 EUR Festival Costs Sofia + Thessaloniki 4.000 EUR Personnel costs for 10 months 15.000 EUR