YASAR ADNAN ADANALI
Beyond Istanbul: Center for Spatial Justice Studies
We invite researchers from all around Europe for an unusual, innovative, cross-disciplinary urban research residency in Istanbul for 6 months. Our residency targets urban researchers, architects, designers, city planners, investigative journalists, artists, bloggers, interested in the issues of spatial justice in Istanbul and beyond.
Beyond Istanbul will provide a working space and support for 6 participants from Europe to connect with local communities and 'urban hot spots' for 6 months.
We work on the issues of spatial justice, aiming to bring together transnational knowledge and cross-disciplinary expertise with local communities, to help to (re-)produce spaces and practices of hope.
Many urban communities (evicted/dispossessed/impoverished) are either excluded from / badly affected by the decisions on their city, or lack access to resources, including expertise, to overcome injustices.
We want to enhance justice in the city by pairing European practitioners with urban hot spots of contestation in Istanbul. We aim to create a co-learning process of urban resistance practices in Europe. If selected, the issues of spatial justice in our cities will be more visible a year from now. People-centred urban practices will be implemented in different locations and disseminated among broader public. And hopefully, a new practice-based urban residency program will be initiated.
1. Open call: We will have an open call for determining the participants of the residency program.
2. Matching up: We will match the participants with a particular issue and community in Istanbul based on their expertise and interest.
3. Team project: We will expect the team to produce one collective work besides their individual contributions.
4. Walks: Walking is one of our urban pedagogical practices that we value at Beyond Istanbul. Each participants will develop their own walk in Istanbul.
5. Project development with local communities.
6. Public program: The participants will offer one public event (talk/walk/exhibition/workshop) during their residency.
7. Publication: At the end of the residency, we will have a bilingual publication of the project.
We are doing this project mainly for urban citizens of Europe, regardless of their legal / citizenship status. By aiming to bring together European researchers together with Istanbul's communities, we target urban researchers, architects, designers, city planners, investigative journalists, artists, bloggers, as well as (evicted/dispossessed/impoverished) urban communities in Istanbul.
Our idea offers new means of engaging with the city.
It builds up on cross-disciplinary work and practicing unconventional methodologies to understand and change the city. It allows creation of unusual partnerships among urban practitioners coming from different cities and disciplines, as well as between experts and local communities.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
Office expenses 5000 EUR; Travel costs 1000 EUR; Accommodation for 6 experts 10000 EUR; Public events 6000 EUR; Publication 5000 EUR; Personnel costs 18000 EUR
We would like to receive ideas on the potential volunteers for our project. Please let us know if you or someone that you know would be interested in being a participant for our urban residency program at Beyond Istanbul.