A knitting group in every community! We involve women from different backgrounds, newcomers and locals, experts and beginners. We are enabling safe spaces especially for women to learn from each other, to create multicultural communities, to break down the stereotypes, to cooperate… With this we enable women to multiply the effect of solidarity among their little communities. With a single soft thread we gradually knitt communities of tolerance and solidarity.
In Slovenia/Europe there is growing fear and hatred towards refugees. Refugees will be mostly settled in large houses for asylum seekers which we presume that will leave them frustrated and with no way to communicate with local communities and vice versa. We see that in such way only more fear and stereotypes will occur in communities surrounding such ‘centres’.
On large scale we are aiming for multicultural communities in which people will understand that we are all humans living on one planet and that the only way to survive is by solidarity, mutual understanding, cherish diversity.
On smaller scale we would like to establish multicultural knitting groups in Slovenia and Italy(and possibly expand the idea to Luxemburg, GB and maybe some other countries) from which solidarity, mutual understanding will result and disseminate.
1. To define the plan of how to establish knitting groups and where. That depends on the local needs (e.g. are there refugees) and possibilities (e.g. can we find women knitters).
2. To invite local women and refugee women to establish their own knitting group and supporting it with knowledge and materials.
3. Organising weekly knitting groups in 3-5 communities.
4. Organising national motivational knitting day with sharing good stories and expanding groups to other towns/places
5. To organise yarn bombing with messages of solidarity, tolerance etc.
6. To connect with similar groups abroad/exchanging the experience/setting up new knitting groups with purpose of tolerance, solidarity, mutual understanding...
7. Evaluate and upgrade!
We will focus on women - refugees and members of local communities, also women. We believe in mulplying effect of the project which will affect the communities as whole.
Idea is very simple and focusing on changing small communities. We believe that with simple idea and few dedicated people we can slowly but efficiently move a lot. Positive effect of knitting is actually scientifically proven! And who would think at first that yarn crafts and multicultural understanding have so much in common.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
office expenses 1000€ travel 3900€ accommodation 1500€ event costs 4000€ fees and honoraires 4000€ public relations 1000€ unforseen costs 1000€ personnel costs 4000€
What do you think about the idea? Is it clear what we would like to achive? Do you think you could host a knitting group in your community?