1) People who want to get rid of a food, nicotine or alcohol addiction will be invited to undergo a challenge to free themselves from their cravings, using crowdfunding for their cause.
2) His or her friends will then donate the money for this cause to a European charity which they can choose from a list offered on our website or app.
3) The charities will redirect the donations to help empower people in need (refugees, etc) and, with permission, invite the donators to help volunteering.
The distribution of food and goods is becoming more and more unbalanced in Europe. On one end we have people getting ill or dying from obesity and addictions and on the other end people starving, homeless and in despair. Through consumerism we, in wealthier countries, are contributing to the exploitation of smaller communities and nature, without measuring its social, ecological and economic impact.
It is our aim to help people from wealthier countries in Europe to become more conscious that, by getting rid of our greed and adictions and by adopting a simpler life style we will not only contribute to a more democratic and just distribution of wealth, but also thrive as individuals, becoming more healthy and satisfied with our own lives.
We want to show people the importance of taking responsibility for everything we consume as well as our moral obligation to share with those in need.
We will develop an online platform or app where people can sign up to undergo a challenge with the aim to stop overeating or abusing certain substances such as sugar, coffee, nicotine and alcohol. The participants will then ask their friends to fund them for their cause using crowdfunding.
We want to create a digital system where the donated money will be automatically redirected to a charity which the participant can choose from a list at our website or app. With his or her permission, the charities can then contact the donator, giving feedback on how their money was used and eventually inviting him or her to become active as a volunteer.
We also want to create a website explaining the project and offering many inspirational videos, audios, forums, texts and a space for story telling.
1) For those who struggle to get rid of addictions or bad habits
2) For those who will have the chance to donate and eventually work as a volunteer for a charity
3) For the people who will benefit from the donations and work (refugees, new immigrants, people living below the poverty line, other addicts, etc.)
“Getting Free to Share” is a win-win-win situation:
1) The person doing the crowdfunding will receive support from their friends to hopefully gain freedom from their bad habit or addiction
2) His or her friends will become conscious of a whole situation they may not have been aware of and have the opportunity to help through both donations and doing volunteer work for charities
3) The charities, to whom the fundraised money will go to, will profit from the financial help and volunteer work.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
Development of the digital platform and app: 20.000 EUR Creation and maintenance of website: 2000 EUR Office expenses (e.g. telephone, internet, office supplies, postage): 4000 EUR Travel costs and accommodation to visit partnerships in different European countries: 3.000 EUR Personnel costs: 12.000 EUR Communications and public relations: 6000 EUR Unforeseen costs: 1000 EUR
It feels wonderful to be amongst so many inspiring people with such amazing projects! Please feel free to share your ideas, we will love to hear from you! :)