Data Research and Development Agency (dataRADA)
Policymaking ‘behind-the-closed doors’, low citizen participation & misbalanced stakeholder consultations in the EU decisions constitute a big problem.
We propose a Web application that brings policymaking out of Brussels bubble. The app could become a ‘policy co-creation’ tool helping the EU politicians and citizens solve problems together.
How it works:
1. Policymakers post drafts.
2. Citizens weight in, support or oppose the proposals and win prizes for the best contributions.
1. The app would transform the early stages of policy-making into a modern, online collaborative experience.
2. Policy-makers would create smarter policy, engaging all the EU’s knowledge and expertise to work.
3. The app would improve trust in the EU legislature by opening the policy-making.
The app would increase the number of citizens that contribute to policy proposals and share their views with just a few clicks. Citizen interaction via the app will provide the EU policymakers with a more balanced stakeholder consultations on the proposed legislation.
1. A short expert survey will be carried out to rank the proposed app's features.
2. A developer will add features to the app by integrating the open source code from the most successful applications around the world.
3. The app's beta version will be tried in a pilot case focusing on one policy area and engaging the Member of the European Parliament.
4. The social media campaign will be carried out to promote the app and engage the contributors.
We are a political scientist and an IT engineer with huge enthusiasm in digital tools. We believe digital initiatives can help citizens and small NGOs be better heard. We have worked on the app prototype (OpenAmendments.eu) for 12 months and received a motivating feedback in Brussels.
The app would help the EU citizens, small NGOs, nonprofits, think tanks and educational organizations to exercise a stronger impact on the policy-making
It would also help the EU officials, MEPs, Commission DGs and European political parties to gain more trust and create smarter policy.
It would be very useful to find out more about the strength and weaknesses of online citizen engagements campaign.