Office O.N.E. is a mobile pop-up office, that travels throughout Europe to explore together with local communities whether an European identity exists in their hearts. Office O.N.E.‘s methodology is based on participation, artistic research and mobility. The Office fits entirely in a suitcase.
Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Brussels, Belgium
During a conference in Berlin, organised by European Alternatives, a grassroots organisation, that I've introduced in the Netherlands, sociologist Saskia Sassen spoke about the development of our European citizenship. In her talk she came through very clear about why our European identity is 'under construction'. She explained that the EU as a super state is in development but still unfinished. Our European citizenship therefor is also still under construction. As a result, the turnout of the latest EU elections have showed a low interest of the voters because the current Europe doesn't make us dream. By opening the Office in the European Parliament, a space for sharing dreams and creative ideas can be created to contribute to the development of European citizenship.
I would describe the project to be successful, when Office O.N.E. becomes a permanent independent, creative and artistic space in the European Parliament. A space for dreams, for artistic production, exhibitions, performances, inspiration and social entrepreneurship.
In one year time Office O.N.E. has become a platform that brings EU politics and art together; open calls have resulted in finding creative projects, that contribute to creating 'New Europeanism', to spend time in the EU Parliament. EU employees and officials have fully embraced this ‘neutral’ space and visit it regularly to open up for a more creative perspective on European developments.
- the first step is to convince a member of the European Parliament to work together on creating space for Office O.N.E. Currently I’m in contact with MEP Julie Ward to discuss the proposed project,
- finding a legal host organization for the project when I would become a winner,
- a proper infrastructure needs to be created for the artist in residency to take place;
- available space in the parliament
- a temporary EU employee-badge
- a website to be able to communicate the project
- communication channels to share the results
- creating in collaboration with MitOst and a host organisation the Office O.N.E. project team
- communication / pr /press
- liaison officer to create connections with art organizations & networks
- finding an apartment in Brussels
Funding requested from Advocate Europe