João Pedro Rosa
4iS - platform for social innovation
Bringing changemakers around a table of flavors, stories and intercultural dialogue, through storytelling, towards the empowerment of migration communities in exclusion around Europe.
Southern European Region, Southwestern European Region, Balkans Region
Despite its reception and asylum policies, the European Union does not have the means to properly welcome those who hope to find a better life there. Lack of social cohesion is frequent in the host countries.(European Pact on Immigration and Asylum, 2008)
This project will:
● inspire and sensitize Europe, diagnosing and exposing, through storytelling, the exclusion of migrant communities;
● create a Focus Group for intervention through advocacy processes of glocal scope, incorporating representatives from the migrant communities, fostering integration, pluralism and active citizenship.
The potential for replication of this project is enormous, since the proposed methodologies are flexible and adaptable, so long as they are coordinated with the actors and adjusted to territorial features.
On the short term we aim to remove the invisibility which cloaks migrant communities by raising awareness of their contributions to European development, valuing the power of cultural diversity and engaging local and international actors and stakeholders as changemakers.
On the middle term, by creating a Focus Group involving those same changemakers, we will be able to:
● integrate representatives of migrant communities in European advocacy processes for local intervention strategies;
● bring the voices of these communities to European decision makers;
● build networks for intervention and integration;
● create opportunities for integration through employability;
● strengthen the values of active citizenship, fostering a collective identity and an european sense of belonging.
The first stage is to identify the main excluded migrant communities, European or otherwise, and their migration paths. Then to involve local authorities and identify a suitable mediator with the communities. Afterwards, to portray their competences, socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
The second stage is to take stock and analyze, by gathering testimonies in direct contact with the communities. The dialogue will focus on gastronomy, customs and traditions, and their transformation in the migration process, based on storytelling.
The third stage is to activate, carrying out an advocacy strategy from the storytelling. This will require the creation of the Focus Group, which will support intercultural dialogue and will lead concrete actions for the integration of migrant communities.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
Please, tell us your feedback regarding our idea! Can contact us through our facebook: https://www.facebook.com/4is.inovsocial