Building a community of solidarity between migrants of all kinds through sharing stories.
Europe is a much sought-after destination for migrants, and that makes it all the more important that Europeans understand the lives of migrants, and that migrants in Europe have access to useful information and support.
I can see this idea going global as migration affects every corner of the globe. A magazine's ability to share ideas across continents makes it a useful diplomatic tool.
If, in a year, I knew that migrants from different backgrounds had connected through shared experiences in our magazine, or that migrants with significant means had given time and effort to supporting other migrants less fortunate than themselves who they had got to know through our magazine community, I would consider the project a success.
The magazine is even more about building a community as it is about producing stories for the pages. We will have events, online discussions, and opportunities for connecting like-minded people as integral parts of our community.
- gather a small team of dedicated and talented folk (writers, designer, I will be the publisher/editor)
- conduct interviews (I already have 200 listed story ideas - enough to make 3 issues), source photography and edit into a magazine document - by Fall 2015
- promote the magazine on social media in the meantime to gather interest and support - Summer and Fall 2015
- print the magazine and distribute in a community-friendly model which saves money but enables community members to meet and discuss, while sharing the magazine
- plan for future issues with the funds generated from the first issue sales (Winter 15/Spring 16)
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
I would appreciate feedback about the vision and scope of the project. I am also interested in whether people think this could work effectively online instead, and whether that might be more accessible?