marica Di Pierri
CDCA - Documentation Centre on Environmental Conflicts
KTH ROYAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY - Environmental Humanities Laboratory
Center for Social Studies of the University of Coimbra
Friends of the Earth Europe
Partner organisation 4 A Sud - Ecologia e Cooperazione www.asud.net Italy note: partner 3 (FoEE) will involve EU national members & European youth group "Young FoEE" (youth grassroots activists)
Thousands of people take grassroots action in Europe to oppose socio-environmental threats to their communities- trying to stop, remediate and find alternative to negative development, extractation, production and waste projects affecting their lives. Often marginalized or even criminalized, they represent a democratic strength and an innovation force to be sustained and developed. GRASSROOTS-EJ wants to train and establish support teams to provide them with assistance, tools and visibility.
Rome, Italy; Stockholm, Sweden; Lisbon, Portugal;
Mainstream media and politics criminalise or keep invisible local environmental struggles, while they represent essential democratic niches. Developing environmental grassroots capacity at local and European level supports direct democracy and people's access to it.
- Trained and built support teams in 4 different countries to provide support to thousand of people engaged in grassroots environmental conflicts (EC)
- Identified common needs and ideas to deepen & extend support teams around Europe
- Basis created for a European "mutual support" platform
1. Planning/needs assessment for training: contents; participants’ selection criteria (future members of support groups); methodology
2. Implementation of 5days workshop in 4 countries: training on documentation communication and advocacy; dealing with real cases; collective elaboration (experiences, expectation and ideas) for a future joint “European mutual support platform” around EC
3. Development of a shared follow-up & networking plan
4. Establishment of 4 national trained support groups
As collective of activists with various expertise, we are working for over 10 years to support local communities and denounce environmental injustices. We believe change comes from the people and see their empowerment as a priority. GRASSROOTS-EJ aims to extend our mission at EU level.
- activists and experts from 4 countries (future members of the national support teams) to be trained to provide support to communities and grassroots in EC
- grassroots and communities impacted by contamination and engaged in environmental conflicts (beneficiaries of support teams)
please help out: is our idea/ project is clear? added value not well underlined? any suggestion/feedback welcome!