Verband der Debattierclubs an Hochschulen e.V.
We invite German-speaking students from all over Europe with a common passion for political issues and social participation to exchange arguments and share their perspectives on current political affairs to strengthen their European identity and to shape a better Europe for all of us.
Europe is currently affected by misunderstandings and the decrease of trust and European sense of community. Among all these severe challenges the EU faces nowadays, we believe in the unifying effects of the cross-border exchange of politically interested students. Debating is the best platform for facilitating that exchange, since the competition for the best argument motivates all participants to share their perspective on common problems. The plurality of different backgrounds in the debating community serves as an incubator for creative political exchange. We are convinced that debating with its intense focus on arguments and exchange of political ideas reaches beyond usual student exchange programs.
The DDM 2016 aspires to foster and to enhance international understanding within the European Union by facilitating enriching encounters of committed and politically interested students. Student debating tournaments thereby provide a platform to discuss the most urgent issues at hand, since the broad variety of cultural backgrounds of all attending students augment each debate by other perspectives. The DDM 2016 will contribute to a deeper comprehension not only among the attending students, but also the audience of the public finals. Debating therefore serves as a multiplier of ideas and as a sustainable network of ongoing exchange guided by the hope to redound to the formation of a European public by reaching audiences equally among Europe.
• We revert to our extensive operating experience in European debates we gained by organizing e.g. two large European Debate Conferences in 2014 in cooperation with Stiftung Mercator and more than 30 public debates in 8 European countries.
• We will refer to the know-how of our current and former partners who helped us shaping a deep-rooted European identity within the German-speaking debating community.
• We strive for a team-capacity 230 debaters and adjudicators from at least 8 countries by notably addressing distant debating societies.
• We wish to alleviate the financial burden by refunding travel outlays of those participants with a far journey.
• Attendance fees should be reduced to an amount of 30 euro or less which allows students from all financial backgrounds to participate.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe