Lesbian people from Belarus and bird-wachers from all over Europe get united to stop stigma and other violance against human beings! Regional joint action led by grass-root lesbian community struggling and surviving in homophobic society invites international bird-watching teams to explore Belarus.
Belarus, Sweden, Europe
Europe needs lesbian people to be integrated into European Union not less than others. The idea to start the movement not from the top to the grass but vice versa is specifically valuable when we deal with such highly vulnerable people as those belonging to sexual minorities. Super-homophobic attitudes faced by Belarusian gay community pressured by neigboring Russia makes this project idea highly demanded, motivation of people inspired by vision of accepted attitudes around Europe makes this project idea meaningfully important. Europe needs this idea because it is really challenging, based on open-mindeness and tolerance, offers justice and equal opportunities, protects individual rights, contributes into democrasy, the rule of law and power of freedom.
- strengthened capasity of Belarusian lesbian community (100 persons)
- over 3000 bird-watchers around Europe learnt about Belarus and the issues of lesbian people, took part in advocasy actions
- over 150 desision-makers raised their awereness on problems faced by lesbian and gay people
- over 1 mln citizens raised their tolerance to lesbian and gay people through mass media articles
The project starts in June 2015. The following actions to be made:
1)annnouncement to European bird-wacher's groups and organizations (via Belarusian partners) about the project and invitation to join; selecting participants;
2) implementing 5 intercultural advocasy actions with participation of bird-wachers and lesbian activists in Belarus; round tables for desision-makers; mass media materials;
3) pr and mass media communication in Belarus and Europe in regards to the issues of lesbian people; web-campaining
The method is to engage as many people to the project as possible in support to both birds and lesbians and make those caring about birds thinking positively about lesbians as well. Such unexpected combination make people percieve the reality differently.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe