Like muscles in general our democratic muscles require training. Democracy Fitness is a simple, active and motivating training concept. Each session takes 30 minutes and focus on one muscle. All sessions are designed after modern learning principles. In the project we want to gather and train fitness trainers and give them the methods and competences to choose muscles, design training and train citizens from their own context.
We plan two train-the-trainer camps
a) Estonia, Tallin
b) Denmark, Bornholm
We believe in people! And our democracy needs all of us to be strong, lively and competent. We need more active and engaging ways of practicing democracy in Europe. While scholars are discussing institutions and treaties, too many civil democratic muscles are weakening. The main purpose of DEMOCRACY FITNESS is to develop a concept and method to build our democratic muscles.
- A strong democracy fitness concept that has been tested in many cultural contexts
- +40 muscle training sessions has been developed, described and shared
- 60+ engaged and competent democracy fitness trainers – who is training democracy
muscles in their own countries and context
- 80% of the trainers use a simple online open source platform on which all methods are also available for any who would want to use it
- 5000+ European citizens have been trained in a democracy muscle – and want more
- Strengthened awareness in general on everyday democracy and the muscles we all need to train and use
Step 1: Designing core concept and prototyping Has already been conducted
Step 2: Concept development Based on tests and input from Advocate Europe Camp in Kiev.
Step 3: Getting organized Build a simple collaborative platform online. Planning Train-the-Trainer camps with partners. Inviting participants
Step 4: Democracy Fitness Trainer camp x2 A trainer camp for the Democracy Festival Organizers and a camp for a broader and open group
Step 5: Training and evaluating All fitness trainers do training in their own context and platforms. Evaluation online, observations and sharing experience on the collaborative platform.
Step 6: Sustainable platform Designing, organizing and financing
Europe seems to be falling apart. Growing disintegration, intolerance, growing right wing and populism tendencies, closed boarders and not least a dangerous apathy and distrust in the system and the politics. We need to relearn that democracy is all of us. That democracy is potentially embedded in all our daily life actions and behavior. You could say -we need democracy to save democracy! We truly believe and can see the potential in making democracy something that is accessible, engaging –and even fun to practice. To take it out of dark rooms with men in suits and into the streets and all the other rooms in which we live our lives.
DEMOCRACY FITNESS is a very simple concept and scalable and applicable to all kind of people and institutions.
For all of us!
Our primary target group:
But we have chosen to target key change makers in the European countries as our target group for the camps. To grow larger impact and experience.
The changemakers are from the Democracy Festivals in 12 European countries (+800.000 citizens participating there), from local and regional Democracy Festivals (like the Danish youth democracy festivals). And from a broader network – the scout organizations and other civil society actors.
Our secondary target group:
Citizens of all kinds that can be engaged through our trainer network.
We make it easy and motivating to become fit for democracy. We use a metaphor that is known by everyone – and use it to tell the story and design democracy training that is accessible for everyone. Democracy Fitness doesn’t need a classroom, a power point projector or a classical teacher. It needs a group of citizens and someone who wants to train with them. It can be done everywhere, with anyone, any time.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
1. Concept and getting organized = 10.800 EUR 2. Develop, plan and facilitate 2 camps=25400 EUR 3. Evaluation, observations and adjusting concept= 2050 4. Communication and platform=8100 5. Mobilization and partnerships=3600 WITHOUT in kind contribution and sponsor contribution
1) How to build a simple, online and collaborative platform 2) Who should we invite for the trainer camps? 3) Who would it be good to collaborate with? 4) Have you heard of anyone who might have experience with similar 5) How do we develop the project from being a project to a more permanent