Our goal is to bridge the language gap between newly arrived individuals and local services. We do this by connecting people who have time to offer with people who need help. This might be translating appointments at public authorities, doctors, hospitals and finding a flat. We are a non-profit project. Participants don't take money for helping neither do people have to pay. We are volunteers and help to connect humans to humans.
Osnabrück, Plettenber, Berlin
One challenge is to make sure that we do not make another webpage that adds to the many existing ones. To avoid this, we searched the internet about existing pages and found that a specific site, where individuals who need translation during an official appointment can find help, does not exist. We decided to start implementing such a website by focusing on official appointments, doctors appointments and appointments for finding a flat.
At the end of the year of work, we would have a working web page. That is, people can post offers and find offers. Secondly, the webpages is known to locals.
We decided to only focus on language - to create a project that really works! In a more general sense the web page will be a starting point for people to get to know each other within the community. We aim to continue to do all the programming open source so that other groups can benefit from our work.
We already created a prototype, and started to plan the structure of the page and its subpapges. The draft of our timeline is as follows:
- June 2016 organisational meetings
- July-August 2016: attend workshops (non-programmers want to learn some programming); all want to learn about project management
- August-November 2016: programming the webpage; as we started
- December 2016: first version of webpage, testing
- January-April: improving the web page; adding some functions
- May 2017: web page will be online and implemented in the mentioned cities
For people that are facing a language barrier in meetings with local services and for those that want to be language companions. Thus, the plattform encourages multilingual citizens, temporarily residing persons (international student, contract workers) and newly arrived individuals or families (migrants of all kinds, refugees). The individuals of the different groups can act as helpers or as people requesting help!
- project management tools - how to get funding in order to create a sustainable project? - how to make it work and encourage people to use the plattform, esp. how to motivate helpers to engage? (rating system? other tools?)