The project tackles the need for European cities to increase local communities’ capacity to respond to environmental hazards and stresses. We will develop a methodology for co-creation of solutions to urban hazards, by mixing the experience of a non-profit entity, an urban sustainability start-up and an artist focusing on augmented reality and gamification. We will implement a pilot solution in Bucharest, Romania, which will be documented for potential scale up in Amsterdam and Salzburg.
European cities are dealing with increased social / environmental stresses on their infrastructures and communities. These range from earthquakes (Istanbul) to climate related floods (Rotterdam) and fire hazards. In Bucharest, the Colectiv fire exposed the city’s low capacity to deal with disruption or catastrophes. We believe that developing a model of networked governance and co-creation of solutions to urban hazards can increase the ability to deal with uncertain events in a flexible manner.
(1) Develop a methodology for co-creation of solutions to urban hazards by mixing policy practitioners, innovative start-ups, action-research practitioners and technology developers;
(2) Prototype a European “call for ideas” on solutions to urban hazards/stresses on a selected neighbourhood in Bucharest, Romania;
(3) Empower citizens to act locally / co-design solutions to urban hazards in their neighbourhood.
We aim for a methodology and prototype which can be scaled up / multiplied in an
1) Methodology development
Bring together the project partners to develop a methodology, involving: The Creative Room (co-creation), Metabolic (resilience / circular economy) and Polycular (citizen engagement through gamification).
Outputs: 2 workshops with project partners + field visits (Netherlands, Austria), creation of methodology kit.
Map local hazards together with local stakeholders in a selected neighbourhood in Bucharest (citizens, NGOs, community groups).
Issue a European call for ideas / solutions.
Applying co-creation methodology with local stakeholders to implement ideas.
Outputs: local pilot implemented.
Urban talk / roundtable to disseminate project results in Bucharest, RO.
Meeting with partners to identify scale-up solutions.
- NGOs, start-ups, practitioners in Europe involved in urban transformation.
- Local public authorities in Bucharest and in partner cities (Amsterdam, Salzburg)
- Local communities in Bucharest, Amsterdam, Salzburg
All partners (Odaia Creativa, Metabolic, Polycular) will be involved in developing the methodology, however ocal communities & local public authorities in Bucharest will also be the main target groups / beneficiaries.
We would like to receive input on potential collaborators / existing best practices from other European countries experimenting with urban resilience, resilient communities.