MINDEPENDENCE seeks to highlight the situation of media freedom in countries where its value is at stake. Its core output is the production of a documentary web series featuring innovative, independent, grassroots media organizations, while illustrating challenges, risks & tactics in a local context
Hungary, Turkey, Egypt
Europe is challenged by diverse, internal or external “crises” - political, financial, humanitarian - testing its values of democracy, inclusion & cohesion. In this turbulent era media is a catalyst, supposed to be the warrantor of pluralism & freedom of expression. Yet, media freedom is not to be taken for granted. Even in Europe, where social media and citizen journalism gain significant ground, the space for independent media has been shrinking rapidly as a result of pressure from political and/or economic interests. The latest (2014) World Press Freedom Index by the Reporters Without Borders indicates that many European countries have received an alarmingly low ranking.
MINDEPENDENCE was conceived with the aim to contribute to this particular challenge, both within Europe and beyond.
MINDEPENDENCE aspires to achieve the following goals:
1. identify independent media organizations in countries where media freedom is at risk & highlight their work and the local context in which they operate.
2. inform the audience about the methods & risks of practicing media independence.
3. facilitate cross-border exchange of practices & challenges between media-organizations.
4. empower young journalists, IT specialists & other independent experts with the values of pro-transparency & anti-corruption journalism.
5. be established as a dynamic point of reference for updated knowledge on the alarmingly re-emerging issues of media freedom.
6. encourage citizens’ participation in its development & provide a space for them to decide on which countries will feature in the next documentaries
MINDEPENDENCE is a dynamic, cross-media project that spans different countries and platforms. During its first phase (June-Dec 2015), we will produce 3 documentaries in Hungary, Turkey & Egypt, fueling the debate on the challenges & tactics of media freedom in diverse cultural and sociopolitical contexts.
In addition to the documentaries, we will develop a website to serve as:
-the project’s online diary, publishing unused audiovisual row-material, references & notes
-a dynamic pool for knowledge, publishing new & existing material on the state of media independence
-a communication tool, informing on related developments & events
Last, we will support real-time interaction & reflection through a series of public events, followed by screenings & discussions on media freedom.
In the core of MINDEPENDENCE project lies the dynamic involvement and contribution of the people. In this context, we would like to encourage you to decide on the next documentaries and to let us know about encouraging practices of - or violating actions against - media freedom.