100 years ago, Europe was at war. A century later, 60 youngsters from 8 European countries (from North, East, South, West Europe) will gather at the battlefields in Ypres to talk about democracy and peace in Europe.
Ypres, Brussels, Flanders, Belgium
The general objective of ‘All Quiet’ is to gradually let the participants become aware of our common European history. How enemies became friends and how the different European countries have learned to live together peacefully over the years. Even more important, is to reflect about peace nowadays, and how the participants see peace-development in the next decades (in Europe, in the World). We want them to give the chance to disseminate and spread their experiences and ideas with youngsters all over Europe and people in their local villages.
- to make youngsters curious about how democracy and peace grew in Europe over the last century
- to make youngsters think about peace nowadays, how they see peace-development in the future
- to have interesting discussions with each other, learn to use arguments for debates
- to have fun together during an interesting exchange in Belgium
The project is divided in 6 phases:
- Febr 2015: the preparation,
- April 2015: a local search (training)
- July 2015: the first meeting,
- spring 2016: a top local and regional action,
- July 2016: the second meeting and the local feedback + European dissemination.
Combining themes like remembrance, heritage, commemoration, history and democratic (European) issues is complex . Though, it is our goal -and our challenge- to achieve this objective by working "step by step". For that reason, the activity plan includes sufficient preparatory activities and moments of consultation. In each step, youngsters set the agenda and the approach, decide which methods are used and in which form their experiences are disseminated.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe
All ideas are very welcome, for instance how can we spread and dessiminate our project to: - local towns and villages - to regional and national media in each country - rest of Europe Youngsters are going to create something by the end of July 2016, all ideas are welcome! visit www.allquiet.be