Internationales Bilderbuchfestival Brandenburg
The Mobile-Picturebook-Festival connects five border regions in mid-eastern Europe with illustrated books for children and youth. We will share the peaceful power of reading, workshopping and celebrating the most wonderful media in the world.
Minsk, Belarus, Vilnius, Lithuania, Lwiw, Ukraine
Europe is experiencing new borders, physical and mental in the east between members and non-members of the EU. Not all people in Europe are participating equally in the wealth and freedom, especially in those new borderregions. This project can help to overcome prejudices and differences, even between rich and poor, educated or neglected as it offers something very popular and easy-to-achieve. At the same time it promotes a very unique competence: the ability to understand pictures from different cultures. This literacy is a vital and necessary competence to secure peace and achieve friendship throughout Europe.
We want to take 1000 books on the Bookmobile and reach over 10.000 children and youths on this journey. We want to make translations to have an international bookcollection available in every country. We want to train teachers and librarians to use these books and designated methods of the festival with groups that were not able to visit the bus. After one year children and youths will ask for more picturebooks from their neighboring countries, stay in touch with people they met and organize their own bookshows. Participants will have raised their understanding for different cultural codes for situations and problems they know and they haven't known before. This understanding will be crucial for a common understanding beyond the borders of the EU.
• Load up a big tourbus with picturebooks from our festival and visit villages and cities in the mentioned countries.
• Stay for about two weeks in and attract more than 2000 visitors to around 50 events in each country around the bus. The whole project will host 250 events and 10.000 visitors in five countries.
• Invite local artists to conduct readings and workshops together with our staff. Offer trainings to teachers and librarians. Leave/take books for the next country.
• Invite media and other promoters for maximum coverage, ask other bookmobiles to join the festival.
• Evaluate, relax and explore new books.
Funding requested from Advocate Europe